Burning Mouth Syndrome – a real disorder
Some pain can be extremely hard to diagnose especially when no other symptoms are present. Dentists and dental researchers have been aware of a pain that feels like you scalded your mouth and can last for months. These burning oral sensations are linked to periodontal, mucosal and restorative disorders and can also be linked to mental or emotional causes.
Frustrating to both patients and doctors, the mouth & gums all appear normal making it difficult to diagnose. Many patients have to visit the dentist or doctor a few times to find out the true cause of their pain and once Burning Mouth Syndrome is diagnosed, may find relief with special mouthwash, oral analgesics and/or other topical & systemic treatments.
Some symptoms may include:
- An abnormal taste in your mouth or a dry feeling
- A persistent burning of your tongue
- Pain in your mouth with no apparent cause
- Pain that disappears while eating
- A burning sensation that could be found in one or many areas of the mouth
If you live in the Philadelphia area and need to talk to a dentist, call our dentist office. We are always available!